In a world where we get caught up in only asking questions like “how was your test?” and “which farrier do you use?”, we get down to the nitty gritty and ask Catie Herbet the real questions…
1. What is your favourite equestrian sport?
Eventing! I love the thrill of a great cross country round, nothing can beat getting to the finish line after a super run.
2. Who was your first horse?
Lady Bird wasn’t my first horse but she was one of the first. She was a super firey little roan pony with one blue eye, she developed my love for going fast and we would always try and race dad when he was working his racehorses. Together we had a lot of fun going everywhere fast and she taught me the important lesson of how to fall off!
3. Pocket rockets or gentle giants?
Pocket Rockets all the way!
4. What’s your favourite thing about being a horse person?
Developing a horses trust in you, to the point where they will jump the scariest fence or into the unknown just because they trust that you know what your doing. That trust is so precious and I always feel so privileged to be trusted that much.
5. What’s your least favourite?
Having to clean stables!
6. Desserts or dinner? Desserts.
I love icecream.
7. What music are you listening too at the moment?
I’m a big Triple J fan so generally what ever is on the radio. My favourite bands at the moment are the Rubens and Thundamentals.
8. What’s the weirdest thing about you?
I graduated uni with a double degree in Engineering and Metallurgy in 2015 after 5 years of study, I then decided to move from WA to NSW and ride horses instead. Everyone seems to think that’s quite odd when they find out.
9. If you could give younger you some advice, what would it be?
I really wouldn’t have a clue. Maybe to pay more attention to how the top riders are riding and learn from their examples.